Sunday 2 February 2014

Balcombe Tea Room

Late, late, late again! As I approached the Roffey traffic lights my phone rang. It was Anton, politely enquiring whether I would be taking part in his ride. Having confirmed I was, he let me know which route out of Horsham he would be using and therefore where I could intercept him. Sure enough, as I approached the roundabout, I spotted everyone and joined up with them (in spite of John C heading off in the wrong direction). Anton took us along Depot Road, out to Doomsday Green and south on Sedgwick Lane. It was nice and sunny although fairly cool and, apart from the occasional puddle or stream let crossing the road, relatively dry. We went on through Copsale and Maplehurst then up Newell's Lane to Lower Beeding. Anton kept us on the B-road as far as The Wheatsheaf, thereby avoiding a couple of hills and then we turned right to go past Slaugham pond and through Slaugham to Staplefield. Here we took Brantridge Lane all the way up to the water tower before turning right onto Redbridge Lane. It was a nice fast descent pretty much all the way to Balcombe.

The cafe was quite quiet - until we arrived!. Anton, Michael, John C, Pete E, John V and myself. Minutes later, Pat and Frank arrived having ridden down from Crawley, then Val popped in (she'd driven over). We all had a good chat and quaffed our teas and coffees before heading back off outside.

We used the most direct route back - up Redbridge Lane and on to Handcross, then Pease Pottage. The Horsham contingent headed back along the Forest Road whilst us Crawleyites were pretty much home already.

No comments:

Post a Comment