Sunday 27 October 2013

Winkworth Arboretum

Spring forwards, fall backwards - aha, that means an extra hour in bed. Where did it go? By the time I'd found my rack pack, transferred my spare tubes, repair kit, tools, waterproofs into it, found my NT card, bankcard, cycle wallet, filled up my water bottle and all the other bits and bobs necessary to go out for a days cycling, i already had only 30 minutes in which to ride a 40 minute journey! As I rode through Tilgate the nice bright patch of sky had been blown away by the gusting wind and by the time I crested Pease Pottage Hill, the heavens were opening. I sheltered in the lee of some bushes by the service station and lost another 5 minutes but then a bigger blue patch was dominating and I could remount. I pressed on, manfully, into the teeth of the wind and managed to claw back some time but was still 10 minutes late getting to Horsham Pavilion in the Park. There I met Pete E and John C and we were shortly after joined by Norman. My phone then rang and John V said he was only a few minutes away and what route were we taking - I told him and we set off.

The golf course was deserted although there were several cars on Robin Hood Lane. On Byfleets Lane (formerly Granny's Lane) John V caught us up and then when we reached the A281 Norman left us to head for home ( he'd been out on some muddy tracks before meeting us and felt he's had enough exercise). Pete lead us up Rowhook Hill, then as we waited at the turn to Ellens Green, we found out that John V had had a puncture and that he would catch up with us. We rode slowly on to Cox Green and then Baynards. No sign of John, but then a text saying he'd meet us in Cranleigh - we were still a mile away and he was already there!

In Cranleigh we took a road to the north and headed through Shamley Green and Wonersh to Bramley where we started up a long hill that just seemed to go on and on. Regrouping at the top, Pete told us that we just had to turn left and the Arboretum was an easy mile away. He was right and we were soon sat down having our lunch. There'd been a long queue in the cafe - too many people brandishing large denomination notes/plastic cards/vouchers. When we'd finished eating, three of us headed into the garden to see the autumn colours, leaving JV to look after our bikes.

Here are some pictures:











We arrived back at our bikes and got back on them. Now we headed south and after a short climb had a good fast downhill before turning to a more easterly direction and getting the benefit of the wind on our backs. We were soon in Cranleigh once more and then used the B road back to Ellens Green. Rowhook Hill was nicer now we were going down it and a few minutes later we said goodbye to JV who was heading through Warnham and Rusper back to Crawley. Pete, JC and I recrossed the still empty golf course and finished riding soon after with JC very kindly giving me a lift back to Crawley as I was feeling tired - looking at my speedo I was surprised to see I'd clocked up 51 miles!

Next weeks ride is an easy one. Sunday 3rd November is the first sunday in November and that means just one thing - Old Crocks Race.  Meet at Three Bridges station at 10:00hrs. We'll ride to the High Street, soak up the atmosphere as the Veteran Cars come and go, then we'll ride with them along Southgate Avenue and up Pease Pottage Hill (pick a suitable Old Crock and slipstream it up the hill - it's the easiest and fastest way up). Depending on the weather, who's out and what they want to do, we'll either lunch at The Black Swan or carry on riding to lunch at Staplefield or Slaugham or Plummers Plain. It's a nice freeform day which we can shape to be whatever we want it to be.

See you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment