Sunday 13 October 2013

Rudgwick Apple Day

It was trying to rain as I made my way from Pease Pottage to Horsham, but I was comfortable in my waterproofs. Arriving at the Pavilion in the Park, I found three riders waiting for me - Barbara, Val and Norman. We lingered over our coffees but eventually ventured out into the now constant rain. Barbara was delivering copies of the Pedaller which left just three if us to head off over the golf course, through Broadbridge Heath and on into Slinfold. Norman felt he was wet enough and was going to head home from Slinfold and, when I mentioned we'd be going up a hill there, Val queried whether I'd mind turning back as well. I'd been looking forward to this ride for a few weeks and trying to anticipate what the Apple Day would be like, but with the rain rattling down all I could now imagine was a sad, sorry, muddy field with just a few soggy punters wandering around it. "let's head back" I said - so we did. Norman stayed with us until we were back in Horsham and Val kindly offered me a lift back to Crawley. End result: not many miles covered, mental note to try and get to the Apple Day next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment