Sunday 19 May 2013

I-Spy Ride

Miles Route Instruction/Question
0 Start from Sumners Ponds Reception.
0.1 Turn RIGHT onto road
If B+C=6, what is BG+I?
0.2 STRAIGHT ON (and over L/C)
Where are the two horses and riders?
0.6 STRAIGHT ON (ignore road on left)
What’s between Courtlands and Emms Farms?
What postcode for Appletrees?
Where’s the yellow, green and white BP petrol pump?
1.6 LEFT then RIGHT
No Public Right of Way where?

This was the start of what faced the eleven competitors in this years I-Spy DA Event.

Route instructions interspersed with questions - 29 of them over the 17.5 mile morning section and 25 questions over the 13.5 miles of the afternoon section. Mainly in teams of two, the competitors set off from Sumners Ponds at about 10:00hrs. I sat chatting with Mick and had a coffee and piece of cake before setting off to get to the lunch stop before the competitors. Mick was heading home via Broadbridge Heath whereas I headed out of Barns Green on Two Mile Ash Road. On reaching The Bax Castle I had to decide whether to go onto the Downs Link or stay on the road - as I was tracing part of the afternoon section, I decided to stay on the road so that I could check that the question answers were all still there!

I soon arrived in Southwater and all the answers I'd passed were still in place and visible. I now adopted the Downs Link and sped past the Country Park, down the lane and under the A24. The surface of the Downs Link was nice and firm with only slight sogginess in parts, so my slick tyres were coping well and I was passing all the other cyclists. Generally speaking my speedo was reading anything between 17 and 20 mph as I headed south, though I eased off a little as I went through West Grinstead station as there were several other cyclists around. I was also busy looking at the old station building which looked like it was boarded up, so I didn't notice what I think was an "L" shaped lump of metal or concrete which whacked my rear wheel and put a fairly major buckle into it! Half expecting to have acquired a puncture as well, I gingerly carried on but everything seemed ok and I got my speed up again.

I was enjoying the day, the riding, the smell of the wild garlic and it wasn't long before I arrived at my destination, Partridge Green, and pulled up at the Partridge. It was 11:30 and I was pleased to find that they were already open so I rapidly made a start on a rather nice pint of Partridge. At midday I ordered some food (chilli and chips) and then had a chat with some other cyclists that had arrived. There was a small family group that arrived with one bike and a dog between them - they'd had another bike but that had punctured and, unable to reinflate the tyre, they'd left it chained up intending to collect it on their way back to Dial Post.  Another group of cyclists had arrived. They were from Burgess Hill and had come across country via Bob Lane and Shermanbury. They seemed interested in Sumners Ponds, so I gave them directions and showed them its location on the map.

As I finished my lunch (and embarked on a second pint), the first competitors arrived soon followed by each of the others. They handed their morning answer sheets in and it was soon apparent that everyone had spotted the answer to every clue - I was very harsh and docked one team 1 point for putting Wiston Wood instead of Wiston Estate. But without some differentiation in points I wouldn't be able to determine a winner, so needs must (besides, the organisers decision is final)!

I circulated photos of the answers to the morning section and issued the direction/question sheets for the afternoon section. As the last team embarked, I finished off my beer, packed my pannier bag and headed back onto the Downs Link. As I rode back along the track, I was a bit slower than I had been earlier - proof that beer is not a good fuel for cyclists perhaps? The sun now started to break through the clouds and by the time I'd reached Southwater I was getting too hot to keep my jacket on. The last few miles along Church Lane / Bonfire Hill and Two Mile Ash Road were very pleasant and represent my first piece of short-sleeve riding THIS YEAR!!  My knees haven't yet had an airing though.

Arriving back at Sumners Ponds, most of the tables at the cafe were occupied, but once I'd got a cup of tea and piece of cake, there was a spare one available and I settled down to await the arrival of the competitors. First back were Gordon and Michael, followed by Anne, Edwin and John. Paul and Dave were next in, then Pete and Marian on their tandem. As it was nearly four o'clock I phoned Pete E to find out where he was. "Just arriving" he said and yes, there he was along with John C.

Quickly marking all the answers I realised there was a three way tie and that I would have to invoke the tie-break question. Sneakily, right at the end of the afternoon section of the question sheet I'd asked "How many times has the route crossed the word SLOW (painted the correct way up) on the road today?" The teams had each put a different answer and so the result was determined by who had the closest answer to the correct figure.  There had been a total of eleven SLOW's on the route and the team of Paul and Dave, with an answer of seven were closest.  There being no prize and no trophy, Paul and Dave only had the applause of their fellow competitors to reinforce the pleasure of their victory in this years competition.

Next weeks ride starts from Three Bridges Station at 09:30 hrs and will visit the Wings Aviation Museum in Brantridge Lane. This will be the first time we've visited this attraction and I believe there is an £8 entry fee, although if enough people turn up perhaps a reduced fee may be negotiated? I also understand there is a cafe on site. Unfortunately I'm unable to attend this ride but I'll be very interested to hear how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment