Sunday 27 January 2013

The Foresters Arms, Kirdford

The snow had completely disappeared following the recent thaw and a night of heavy rain and high winds. The trouble is, when I awoke the heavy rain and high winds were still with us. However, the weatherman's prediction came true and by the time I ventured out, the rain had stopped and the wind had dropped appreciably. I sent a text to Gordon telling him I'd be at The Black Swan at 25 past nine if he wanted company on the ride to Horsham and set off. Within a few yards I remembered that I hadn't raised my saddle back to it's normal position after lowering it for last weeks ride in the snow, but having set myself a time to be at Pease Pottage, I couldn't afford the time to readjust it. My knees were soon aching and so I did a fair chunk of the climb up Pease Pottage Hill standing on the pedals. I stopped at the Black Swan and raised my saddle whilst waiting to see if Gordon would take up my offer. No show, so on I went through Colgate and Roffey to arrive at Horsham Park Pavilion shortly before ten.

Norman was there and mentioned he had a rubbing sound on his bike. It was a cyclical noise associated with his wheels and we soon identified the problem as a broken spoke - or more accurately, a broken spoke nipple. We reasoned that discretion was key and riding on that wheel was probably not wise, so Norman headed home.  That left three of us on the ride as by now Mick and Mike had joined us from the cafe.

We headed out of Horsham over Rookwood Golf Course and Robin Hood Lane and shortly after we were crawling up Rowhook Hill. There were quite a few people running along this road (in the opposite direction) although we didn't find out whether it was a club run or some other organised event.

We turned left to Ellens Green and then left to Cox Green where we took the road to Baynards. The Downs Link bridge there looks to be undergoing some extensive repairs. From here we sped down a verey wet Cooks(?) Hill and then crossed over the A281 to reach Tisman's Common. We ignored the lure of Drungewick Lane and carried on to Loxwood. Here we headed south and crossed the canal and a rather flooded river before climbing up the hill and past the church. We took the first left and headed for Ifold before turning south once more for the final two miles or so to Kirdford.

The landlady and staff at The Foresters Arms were very welcoming and they are not at all fazed by wet, cold and grubby cyclists turning up on their doorstep. All three of us managed a couple of well kept pints of Sussex and some very nice sandwiches/baguettes.

Getting back on our bikes, we felt a bit cold - but that may have been because we'd just left a very nice open fire behind us!

For the route back I took us through Wisborough Green and up to Roundstreet Common onto Drungewick Lane. It may be worth noting that Southwater Cycles have relocated from Southwater to a Farmyard business estate half way along the east side of Drungewick Lane.

We carried on back to Tisman's Common and then to Bucks Green where we said goodbye to Mike as he went home to Rudgwick. Mick and I then turned south and crossed a very swollen River Arun to go past The Haven and on towards Five Oaks. Reaching the A29 we turned left and then a mile later, right to get to Slinfold. From there it was back to Horsham through Broadbridge Heath, along Robin Hood Lane and returning over the Golf Course.

Now I was by myself and followed the usual route through Roffey and Colgate back to Crawley via Pease Pottage and K2 to arrive home shortly before 15:30 having travelled about 54 miles.

Next weeks ride will start from Horsham Park Pavilion at 10:00hrs and will be a relatively short (less than 30 miles) ride to the south of Crawley with a refreshment/lunch stop at the Cafe in Balcombe. Hills will be unavoidable but I'll try to keep it as easy as possible because I don't seem to have much energy at the moment!!

Don't forget to send your Anniversary Lunch menu choices and money to Mick by the end of January.

No comments:

Post a Comment