Sunday 13 January 2013

Beginners Ride from Horsham

Two weeks into the New Year already - where does the time go?

This weeks ride was to be a short and simple morning ride aimed at relative newcomers to cycling. My intention was to use a combination of bridleways and quiet lanes to head south of Horsham with perhaps a tea break at Southwater or Barns Green.

On arriving (late as usual) at the start, I was met by a group of club members and a request to avoid using any bridleways if possible.  No problem - as it was cold and wet (although not raining), keeping to the roads seemed eminently sensible to me.

I lead the five of us south, through Horsham town centre and out on the Worthing Road before turning right at Tower Hill onto Two Mile Ash Road. At Bax Castle we turned left and carried on south to Dragons Green where we turned north. There was a lot of dirt and grit all over the road surface along with frequent puddles and potholes. I was acutely conscious that I always seem to get punctures in these sort of conditions when, guess what?  I had a puncture! I thought I might be able to ride on it for a couple of miles but no, it was completely flat within a hundred yards or so and I had to sort it out. I suggested that everyone else carry on to Sumners Ponds and have a cup of tea there whilst waiting for me. John V stayed to help and I replaced the tube within a few minutes but had to use his pump to inflate it as my pump didn't seem to work very well (I reckon it needs a service as it's been several months since I last used it!!).

We met everyone at Sumners Ponds and enjoyed a short tea-break there but were unfortunately sat under a heater so that, on returning to our bikes we were really feeling the cold! However, a few minutes cycling and we warmed up again. As it was just a morning ride and it was now midday, we headed back to Horsham via Two Mile Ash Road and having said goodbye to the Horsham contingent (Barbara, Sandy and Norman), John and I rode back to Crawley along the Forest Road. I found it really hard work (too much Christmas food, not enough exercise) whilst John just looked like he was ticking over!

Next Sundays ride is a 10:00hrs start from Three Bridges Station. Frank will be leading you north and east for a lunch stop at The Castle, Chiddingstone. It is relatively hill-free and fairly easy-riding in that direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment