Sunday 29 January 2012

Wiston Rendezvous

A Horsham start and, as usual, I'm running late (this is probably the most common theme running through this blog)! The K2 carpark was full due to a swimming event and I switched my bright red flashing rear light on before venturing onto the A23 and up Pease Pottage Hill. I was nice and warm on reaching the top and with an empty roundabout, I didn't have to stop at the top. Suddenly a car blasted his horn right behind me. What the ......! Some twerp in a sliver Aston Martin Convertible (last three letters of the reg were DVB) had come up the hill behind me and then simultaneously tried to overtake me and turn left onto the motorway sliproad going north. I can only assume the horn blast was to tell me off for using the correct signal when going straight on over a roundabout and also for not taking my cycle onto the motorway!!

It was cold riding along Forest Road but the sky was brightening up and I was glad to be out on my bike. Everything seemed a bit quicker today and, without really trying too hard, I actually pulled up at Horsham Pavilions in the Park at exactly 10:00hrs! That's a first :-)

Barbara was waiting and ..... that was it. We waited for ten minutes just in case and then set off.

Firstly we headed through the centre of town and then out on the Worthing Road as far as The Boars Head where we turned right. That little climb from the junction to the Tower Hill corner is always awkward - it's too narrow for cars to pass and the road surface is not that smooth, but once over the crest and round the corner, the road widens and one can get ones breath back freewheeling down and under the A24. We took the next right and went past Christs Hospital and over the railway. There were several runners going in both directions along this road and also when we turned left near Itchingfield. A short hill and a long glide took us to Barns Green. Here, for a change, I took us over the railway level crossing and along the quiet Emms Lane to Brooks Green. Here a quick left then right took us onto Lackenhurst Lane - this is the convenient link lane that doesn't seem to be on the Goldeneye map (if it is, it's obscured by a couple of placenames and impossible to see). Going right at the triangular junction, we followed Bakers Lane down to The George and Dragon where we turned south and crossed the A272.

At the next junction Barbara turned left for Shipley and to head for home whilst I carried on.
Smithers Hill Lane took me to Countryman Lane which led to Broomers Corner and Hooklands Lane. This lane finishes off as Spear Hill and a short descent onto the Billingshurst Road. From here it was south through Ashington and then under the A24 and onto Hole Street. Just over a mile later I pulled up at Wiston Tea Rooms.

Walking my bike into the garden, I could see the inside tables were all occupied mainly with cyclists but didn't recognise any of the faces. I placed my order and sat down at one of the outside tables. Just then an old friend burst through from behind the clouds - The Sun put in an appearance: not as warm as he can be, but pleasant enough. Shortly after, my mug of tea and my poached eggs on toast arrived. As I was just starting to wolf them down, Anne from Bognor and Chichester arrived - like me, she was on her own but enjoying the day. We were joined at the table by a lone cyclist from Sutton - he'd come to Sussex by train and was enjoying a (relatively) hill free ride around the vicinity.

After a pleasant chat, it was time to head for home. I took Spithandle Lane across to the B2135 then headed north through Ashurst to Partridge Green. As I was by myself I decided to head straight back to Crawley on a route I was familiar with from the days when I regularly rode between the two (my brother lived in Partridge Green back then). So it was through Littleworth, right onto Stonehouse Lane and over the A272 onto Burnthouse Lane. This road has a couple of hills, one of which features a barking dog (usually safely behind a fence, but one it was out in the road). Another hill followed on turning into Newells Lane. At the end of the lane I turned right onto the A281 and then left onto the B2115 to Lower Beeding. Next it was north down Church Lane. Near the nothernmost end of the lane is a small business estate - this is where a small local brewery is based called Kissingate - try their beer if you get the chance.

Turning left, it was then down over the Hammerpond and up the other side - as I ground my way up the hill, I spotted a pure white squirrel. He was a big fellow, so is obviously thriving, but he was out of sight before I could bring my camera to bear. As I rode along Grouse Road I found myself looking to see if there was any other "unusual" wildlife around but I didn't spot anything. Soon I was back in Pease Pottage and then through a still packed K2 before arriving home at half past two. I'd enjoyed a very pleasant 35 mile outing on my bike and was feeling quite refreshed by it.

Next weeks ride starts from Three Bridges station at 10:00 hrs and will be a fairly easy (ok there will be a couple of hills) ride to lunch at Balcombe tearooms and back - no more than about 3 hours of cycling in total. Go on - you know you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment