Monday 8 November 2010

Old Crocks Race

The first Sunday in November dawned bright and chilly – Old Crocks Day! I struggled out of bed and creaked down the stairs to be greeted by the cold severity of the newly-tiled kitchen floor. Fill up the kettle, bread in the toaster, switch on the telly to watch United scrape another less-than-convincing win. Looking outside I was relieved to see the pavement was dry but annoyed to spot that I’d left my waterproof jacket hanging by the back door all week and that the jacket-cleaning fairy hadn’t brushed the mud off it. Once I’d done that task, I applied my attention to my waterproof trousers and noticed that the repair I’d made to them last year had now failed. Two pieces of gaffer tape and a quick press from the iron later they were done at which point I realised that actually, the weather was good enough that I wouldn’t even need to take them with me today!

Taking the breakfast tray back upstairs, I relished the warmth of the bed as I ate my toast but all too soon I was up, washed, brushed and out into the cold. Actually, it wasn’t that bad – I was comfortable with about three layers on top and just shorts and leggings below (winter gloves though).

Arriving at Three Bridges Station I found todays leader, Anton, accompanied by Frank and Pat and Roz. Then Barbara arrived and we had a nice group of six riders. Anton described what his route would be and asked me to lead the first part into Crawley town centre. I used the quieter route along the Old Three Bridges Road and then cut along Mitchells Road then Gales Drive past the Police Station and onto The Boulevard. This is actually quite a pretty road and is a good example of acceptable 60’s town planning (probably planned in the 50’s though). At the end we turned left onto the High Street which was filled with Veteran cars having a pitstop on this years London to brighton run. The run commemorates when, 114 years ago, the requirement for all motor vehicles to be preceded by a man carrying a red flag was abolished. I’m well aware that some members of the cycling community see that act as a retrograde step but I do wonder whether cyclists would ever have put up with a 4mph cap to their rate of progress? Looking at some of the veteran cars it was obvious that they were made by bicycle manufacturers or coach builders.


Along the High Street we met several cyclists including some from the Tandem Society and indeed, when we started riding again we’d gained an extra companion, Martin. From the town centre we followed the route of the veteran cars along Southgate Avenue and then up Pease Pottage Hill. It’s amazing how easy the hill is when you can slipstream an Old Crock! I got to the top and had hardly had to increase my breathing rate. We regrouped opposite Pease Pottage Services and then continued to mix it along towards Handcross. I picked on a fairly chunky, yet fast, veteran car and tucked in behind it to get a good slipstream tow – the space was already occupied however by a chap on a racer wearing the DeVere racing club colours. As we tooled effortlessly along in excess of 25mph we had a nice little chat – he’d been following the cars all the way from Hyde Park Corner and was heading for Brighton. I wished him well and peeled off in time to see the line up of Caterham Super Sevens near Handcross School. A few minutes later, Anton led the rest of our group past.




Once in Handcross we pulled up and watched several of the old cars go by, along with two ancient charabancs and various classic or unusual cars. With the time now approaching 11:45, Anton decided we wouldn’t go on down to Staplefield as originally planned, but would head west towards Plummers Plain. Although this road is fairly fast (it was an A-road but was downgraded to a B-road so that the County Council didn’t have to spend so much money on it), it was a fast downward slope for the two miles we were on it and we were soon turning right onto Hammerpond Lane.



The autumn colours were very picturesque as we travelled along and the Hammerpond itself looked very enchanting (if a little cold)! At the crest we turned right onto Grouse Road for a three mile slightly uphill but visually stimulating ride before turning left onto Blackhouse Lane to get to Colgate. Passing the Dragon, I noticed several cars parked there and I fancy work is being done to bring the pub back to life. Hoorah!

Frank commented that he was finally feeling warm as we started down the hill but by the time we’d got to the bottom and across the A264 into Faygate he was feeling cold again. The climb up to Tismans Lane must have warmed him up a bit though and then, having cut through Lamb’s Green, minutes later we were installed in a nice warm pub – the Gate on the Rusper road.

Quaffing on my Fursty Ferret having finished eating my bacon and avocado ciabatta and chatting with my fellow cyclists, I was feeling very much at peace with the world. This didn’t go unnoticed by Frank who said my face looked warm and content and that I’d probably fall asleep if we stayed much longer – he was right, so it was time to get going again. There were no objections to Antons plan to use the shortest route back and we were soon in Maidenbower and all going in seperate directions – Barbara back to the station, Anton to his car parked near Worth Church, Roz to the Worth Way, Frank and Pat up the hill to their home and me back under the railway into Furnace Green.

Next weeks ride is an 09:00 start from Horsham Pavilions in the Park. Led by Barbara, we will firstly attend the West Sussex DA AGM at The Brooks Hall in Pulborough (10:30) before having a pub lunch somewhere on the way back to Horsham. I expect the round trip to be about 40 miles. Come along and meet up with people from our fellow West Sussex member groups.

No comments:

Post a Comment