Sunday 21 November 2010

Limeburners Arms

I've been a bit slow producing the blog this week. I originally tried to do it using my Nintendo DSi one evening whilst sitting in bed listening to the radio - Planet Rock on DAB - but after I'd written a couple of hundred words it decided to lose them all. Doh!
So here I am sitting at my keyboard again and trying to recall the details of the ride.
It was a Horsham start so I rode over using my normal route through Colgate and, joy of joys, I saw that The Dragon has reopened! Hooray! A chalkboard outside it said "Tim and Min welcome you to The Dragon". I also noted that they're doing food from 27th November on.
Anyway, waiting for me at Horsham Pavilions in the Park were Barbara and Anton. We stood around chatting whilst we waited to see if anyone else turned up but no luck, just the three of us. I was leader and I took us out of Horsham on the Brighton Road then turned right onto Kerves Lane. It was trying to rain but not trying too hard and we barely noticed it (I was wearing a full set of waterproofs anyway as I've still not got any mudguards fitted). Hards Hill interrupted our conversation as we puffed our way up it but once we turned right onto Coltstaple Lane, Barbara's story-telling resumed and kept us going down through Southwater and on onto Church Lane - I suspect we were so engrossed that we didn't spot Norman, waving energetically, as he drove past us. Shortly after we encountered the strange sight of a crow just standing at the side of the road - I passed within a foot of him and he was completely unfazed! I later found out that Norman had spotted it in the middle of the road just before he'd seen us and suspected that it had perhaps been hit by a car. Later on Norman had gone back there, but the crow had gone. Perhaps it had got its breath back and managed to fly off?
At the end of Church Lane I took us right towards The Bax Castle but didn't cross the bridge and followed the road as it looped back south. Forking left onto Sincox Lane we once again passed the patch of woodland that has recently become home to several pigs - they loook like Tamworths and possibly Gloucester Old Spots to me (but I'm no expert). Reaching the B road we turned left and sped along south for about a mile before turning right at the next Junction. From here it should have been about 5 miles of pedal-spinning along a fairly smooth B road all the way to the pub. I was just starting to congratulate myself on getting the timing just right when a sign said "Road Ahead Closed". Hmmm, Network Rail were working on the Adversane level crossing. Perhaps we could get across on foot (with our bikes)? We rode up to the crossing but no chance, it was all dug up and we didn't have the right combination of flourescent jackets, safety helmets and safety boots on. So we had to turn back and then head on up to Billingshurst. Here, we picked up the A272 westbound across the roundabout for the A29. In a recent report, the A272 was identified as one of the most dangerous roads in the country. We didn't add to the statistics and had soon turned left off it and arrived safely at the pub - The Limeburners Arms.
The beer was a nicely conditioned London Pride, the food was tasty and my companions were entertaining, so lunchtime flew by. Leaving the warm pub behind, the weather seemed to have got quite a bit colder than earlier and it definitely seemed less bright. I decided on a fairly direct route back which took us up Rowner Road to The Haven where we turned right then right again before a left and a right to get to Slinfold - we tried to freewheel all the way from the top of the hill to the junction in the village but the wind was agin' us. From Slinfold it was an easy ride through Broadbridge Heath and across the golf course to arrive back in Horsham. Saying goodbye to the other two I headed back home via Colgate - it's uphill all the way from Horsham to Colgate, just what you want at the end of a days ride (NOT!) - and arrived home at about 16:00hrs with just about 50 miles on my speedo.
Next weeks ride should be heading north and east from a 10:00hrs start at Horsham Pavilions in the Park. The current plan is to head for lunch at The Dolphin in Betchworth, but I may alter things depending on who turns up and what the weather is like.
Come along, regale us with stories to whisk the miles by.

No comments:

Post a Comment