Thursday 12 November 2009

The Woodsman

A Ten O’Clock start from Horsham – I should easily be able to make that!
I’d been up since seven thirty and was now pottering about doing this and that. The weather was annoying me – last night the BBC had said that the heavy rain of yesterday would clear for the morning. They were right, the heavy rain had cleared but there was still light rain in the air! I dragged on my waterproofs and remembered to put my full waterbottle onto my bike. A quick adjustment of my saddle height was in order – it’s not been quite right since I fitted the new seatpost a couple of weeks back – and I was off.

As ever on a Sunday morning there was hardly anyone about as I cycled through Tilgate. Splashing through puddles and avoiding small branches and other tree parts littering the roads, I cut through past K2 – only a few swimmers visible through the windows, but a full car park!

The rain had more or less stopped and I was feeling quite cheery riding up Pease Pottage Hill although I could tell that my seatpost was still too low - my left knee in particular was not comfortable. Travelling on along the Forest Road towards Colgate I was enjoying the autumn colours and keeping an eye open for deer. Just before the village, an area of forest (I think it was mainly Rhodendron) has been cleared and I'm wondering what is going to happen to it. It's just possible it's been cleared for pasture but in these modern times it's more likely it's been cleared for some kind of housing development though I suspect (given the location) it won't be "low-cost" for "essential workers".

Racing through Roffey, I looked at my clock to realise that I was going to be late as usual. It seems that no matter what time I get up I never get my timing right, but hey, we're a relaxed group and it wasn't a problem. Pulling up at Horsham Park Pavilions I could see only two familiar bikes and a couple of minutes later their owners came out from the cafe - Anton (leading the ride) and Norman.

This weeks ride would be another easy (and short) ride - roughly twenty miles out to Kirdford and then back. We used the golf course route to exit Horsham and then Robin Hood Lane. Some of the deer in Warnham Park are sporting pretty impressive headgear - it might be worth a photographic sortie sometime this winter.

Anton was full of apologies for taking us up Rowhook Hill but to be honest I didn't find it as much of an effort as usual (I was still blowing a fair bit when I crested though). From here we headed west across to Ellen's Green then Cox's Green and on towards Baynards thereby avoiding Rudgwick and giving us the fun of the fast descent of Cook's Hill. Straight across a quiet A281 we headed on past the Mucky Duck before turning left onto Drungewick Lane. I'm sure someone once told me a rock star lives in a big house off this lane. We stopped at the canal bridge for a few minutes - Anton took a photo - and then carried on to Roundstreet Common. This brings back memories of Edwins accident last year, thankfully his recovery seems to be continuing apace.

Forking right we soon arrived at Wisborough Green and turned right onto the Kirdford Road - nearly there. As we entered Kirdford I noticed that the "Drunkenness" sign we pictured a few weeks back has had all the ivy cleared away from it thereby making it much more visible. I would have taken a photo but couldn't as I'd forgotten to bring a camera! A minute later we pulled up at the Foresters Arms.

On entering the pub we found that almost all the tables were reserved - a motorclub has a regular run to this pub on the second sunday of every month - but the landlady found us a table nice and close to the open fire and we were soon enjoying our pints of Pickled Partridge as our clothes silently steamed dry! I had the vegetable soup for lunch and it was just right, Anton and Norman went for sandwiches which they both enjoyed although the garnish looked a little tired. We felt that the prices were a little high but we're not complaining because pubs are becoming thin on the ground, especially those doing sandwiches on a Sunday.

For the journey back, Anton tried to keep to the "Easy" definition of the ride by avoiding as many hills as he could. He led us back to Wisborough Green, then Newpound Common and across to Rowner Road but rather than use the usual route via Barns Green, carried on up Okehurst Road to The Haven. From here, we hit the A29 for a short stint and then freewheeled down into Slinfold to take Lyons Road across to the A264 before passing through Broadbridge Heath. After this we retraced our steps along Robin Hood Lane (I tried to bellow like a deer and reckon I confused one impressively antlered specimen) and then across the golf course back into Horsham.

Anton had offered me a lift back to Crawley as he was heading to Evans for some bits and pieces and I was too lazy to turn him down, so I was back home by about 15:30 with a mere 45 miles on my speedo - to be honest it felt like I'd done a lot less than that!

Next week is the West Sussex CTC Member Group AGM at Wiggonholt RSPB. The ride will start from Horsham Park Pavilion at 09:00 and use a direct route to get to Wiggonholt for the start of the AGM at 10:30 where refreshments will be available. After the AGM we will stop for lunch at the Queens Head in West Chiltington before heading back. Total mileage should be in the region of an easy 30 miles. Please come along to the AGM to meet other Sussex CTC members and influence the direction we take in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment