Monday 2 November 2009

Veteran Car Run

Today’s run was to witness the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run and also have the pleasure of overtaking them up Pease Pottage hill. And, despite the rain, we accomplished both.

The ride started from Crawley K2 leisure complex in the pouring rain. Attending, or mad enough to turn out, were Anton, Martin, Bob and myself, Mick. Due to the inclement weather I decided to curtail the ride a little, forgoing the usual bacon buttie in Staplefield. We headed off to Crawley wind assisted but in the knowledge we would have to return against the wind. One advantage of the rain was fewer people in Crawley so we had an excellent view of the cars. Having spent some time watching we headed off towards Pease Pottage. Up the hill we went overtaking several vehicles, much to some drivers surprise. One lady passenger enquired if we were cycling all the way to Brighton. I know we looked mad but even that was too much and I didn’t have the heart to tell her we were heading for a nice warm and dry pub. Anton left us soon after, having done 130 miles the previous day we excused him. We watched the cars go by near the services and decided to see if the pub opened before noon. Fat chance!

Martin left Bob and myself at this point to cycle to Horsham, having cycled from Horsham I advised against this but he went anyway. Bob and I headed back to the services area to watch a few more old crocks to pass the time. Having got more wet we headed to the Black Swan, getting there just in time for the doors to open. After a leisurely lunch we headed back to Crawley, Bob to home and me to catch a train. It had stopped raining but the wind would have been against me all the way home, so I chickened out.

The ride was supposed to be 15 miles but we only managed 10. This must be the shortest section ride ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment