Sunday 16 March 2014

Reigate Garden Centre

Beautiful sunny day today, just perfect for a bike ride. I left home early and had an enjoyable ride along the Forest Road into Horsham. In fact, I was so early I had time to sit down with a coffee in the Pavilion Cafe (along with a surprised Michael - he hadn't expected me to be so early).

Having finished my coffee I went outside to be met by a crowd of riders - Barbara, Val, Michael, Mick, Norman, Pete E and new rider John, all eager to get going. Just then my phone rang - it was John C to say he was running late and would try and intercept us somewhere along the route.  

We set off and left Horsham via Wimblehurst Road, North Heath Lane, Pondtail Road and Pondtail Drive. We walked our bikes over the bypass having waited for quite a bit of traffic to go past and then headed up Langhurstwood road. The pong wasn't too bad and we were soon away from it. We carried on up to Capel where we were briefly accompanied by a small group of roadies. Mid rook Green Road took us on up to Trig Street from where we headed east to Newdigate. At this point, Barbara and John turned south to head back to Horsham whilst the rest of us carried on to Parkgate and Leigh. Although Flanchford Road was blocked with "Road Closed" signs, we went past them, reassured by the fact that several cyclists were coming from that direction. Sure enough we got through - the bridge parapet was being repaired and road narrowing bollards had been installed but bikes could easily get through. Only a mile later we arrived at Reigate Garden centre and, as I locked my bike up, John C arrived.

Although most of us were served our lunch quite promptly, Val didn't get hers even after two reminders, so remained I refreshed as we set off on the return ride. The return route retraced our steps as far as Parkgate where the Michael headed west and the rest of us went south, through Charlwood and then through Ifield Wood. On reaching the Rusper Road, Pete, Val and Norman turned right to go back to Horsham leaving just john and I to go through Ifield, West Green and the town centre to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment