Sunday 24 November 2013

South to Wiston

This was down as a 40 mile, medium rated ride but I had a nice easy route prepared just in case. That was what we used. It was quite cold, but dry and there were just four of us - Pat, Frank, Val and myself. Val was worried about the prospect of 40 miles and Pat and Frank, having been abroad for a few weeks, wanted an easy reintroduction to the saddle. Me, well I just like riding my bike, so any ride is good for me. My easy route was designed to have as few hills as possible but I couldn't avoid at least one: heading south from Horsham means climbing a ridge within the first mile. Having reached the top of Tower Hill, most of the rest of the route was slightly downhill if not level. We went via Bax Castle, Dragons Green and Ashurst and arrived at Wiston Tea Rooms just before 11:30.

There was plenty of choice on the menu and having ordered we settled down to chat and observe the chickens, ducks and geese wandering around outside. I was expecting a contingent of Bognor and Chichester riders to turn up as this was also their destination today but there was no sign of them even once we'd finished our lunch and were setting off for the return journey. 

No one fancied my slightly hilly return route so we retraced our outward journey which, although it felt slightly downhill on the way out, also managed to feel slightly downhill on the way back. How's this possible?

Anyway, arriving back at Horsham, everyone had enjoyed the ride and they were all still talking to me. We'd only clocked up 27 miles but I reckon it was just about perfect: nice weather, nice countryside and nice company - thanks everyone.

Next weeks ride will be another fairly easy one. We'll start from Three Bridges Station at 10:00hrs and head up to the Plough at Leigh for lunch. Hopefully the weather will be OK again and we'll have another enjoyable ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment