Sunday 9 June 2013

Pooh sticks

Nice sunny weather in the week before the ride had me imagining a bright, warm Sunday but no, it was overcast and there was a cold wind blowing from the northeast. I arrived at Three Bridges station to be met by four riders - Barbara, Michael, Norman and Ken. Shortly after John V arrived and a few minutes later we set off.......... Only for me to wheel back because I'd forgotten to get some money out of the cash machine. I'd told the others what route we were using and once I'd got my cash I headed after them. Up Billinton Drive and onto the Worth Way. I was impressed with how far the others were ahead of me and I still hadn't caught them when I got to Worth Church where I spotted an old work colleague but couldn't stop to chat. I carried on and then heard a shout from behind - it was John, but he was by himself. As he explained that he'd seen the others missing the turn onto Billinton Drive my phone rang and Barbara told me the same and that they were now waiting at Compasses Cottage on the Worth Way just ahead of us. A couple of minutes later we'd all joined up and were continuing along our way.

We were cracking along at a good pace as we were sheltered from what was quite a stiff headwind and were soon at East Grinstead. Barbara turned back at this point and John left to go to a family party No steam engines at the station so we continued on up the High Street and onto the Forest Way.

It's slightly down hill all the way to Forest Row and then fairly level to Hartfield. Here we turned onto the road and headed up through the village and further up to Upper Hartfield. On the way we all collected several twigs so we were ready for the competition to come. Here's a short video of the route from the road to the bridge:




Having been soundly beaten at Pooh sticks by a family we met there, we climbed up through the woods to a lane and then headed east. At the end of the lane we crossed through a ford and then headed up the hill to arrive at the lunch halt - The Hatch at Colemans Hatch. We ordered our food, got our beers and sat down inside - next to an open fire - in June!!!!!

The beer was good, the food was excellent and we had a good old chat in the comfort of the pub.

For the return trip we had a nice fast downhill to Forest Row where we regained the Forest Way and headed back through East Grinstead (still no steam engine) and back to Crawley having covered just about 35 miles.

Our next ride is at 10:00hrs on Sunday 16th June and will be a Mystery Ride led by Pete E from Horsham Pavilions in the Park.  Where will he take you? One things's certain - he won't take you anywhere near Turners Hill or Ardingly because the London to Brighton Bike Ride is on the same day.  It's also Fathers Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment