Sunday 10 June 2012

I-Spy Ride

This years I-Spy DA Event started at Pulborough Railway station. I arrived at 09:15 to find Barbara, Mike and Anne already waiting for me. Within a few minutes Ros too had arrived and ....  that was it.

I gave each of them a map and a set of route instructions/questions:-
Miles
Route Instruction/Question
Answer
0
Leave station on Footpath to North

0.2
Turn LEFT onto road and cross over the railway.


Musical Care?


What MUST be done in red?                                     


Where does the three-legged horse live?

1.4
Turn RIGHT


Not far, Mum


Where do the gates open outwards?


What side opposite La Barranca?


Do chore fieldmouse!


Where would you find red dogs on duty?

2.4
Turn LEFT onto A29 then immediate RIGHT onto CRAY LANE       **TAKE CARE**

2.7
Turn RIGHT at T-Junction (sp Broomers Hill)


Where would you find two yellow kestrels?

4.0
Turn LEFT onto A-283  **CARE**

5.3
After Wiggonholt Fork RIGHT (sp Greatham, Rackham)

5.6
Turn RIGHT at T-Junction

6.0
STRAIGHT ON (ignore left)

6.9
STRAIGHT ON (ignore left)


On Saturday, what time for the last collection at Greatham Parish church?


Except ____?_____ vehicles?

8.5
STRAIGHT over A29 into Waltham Park Lane *CARE*

9.6
Turn RIGHT at T-Junction (sp Fittleworth, Petworth)

10.8
Bear LEFT up the hill

11.2
Turn sharp RIGHT onto A283 *CARE*

11.4
Turn LEFT (sp: Bedham)


Add up the four numbers where you see Fittleworth House.

11.7
Fork LEFT

12.4/5
Ignore both parts of the triangular junction on the left.

12.8
Follow hairpin back round to your left (and up).


Hello grid liver (anag.)

13.1
Turn RIGHT at T-Junction


How many posts holding the chains?

13.6
Turn LEFT at T-Junction *CARE*

14.4
Turn RIGHT onto A283 (sp Petworth)

14.8
Turn LEFT (sp Byworth)


How many panes of glass on the front of The Black Horse?


What produce at Hallgate Farm?


_________ Corner Farm?

15.8
RIGHT then LEFT to cross this fast(ish) road *CARE*


Sounds like the Seven Dwarfs go off to work from here?


How many white posts before the Bigenor box?


PSM _______?

17.3
STRAIGHT ON at crossroads (sp Sutton)

17.6
Ignore Right


Where’s the alarming company?


Where’s David Brown in charge?

19.1
Stop at The White Horse in Sutton for lunch and hand this sheet in to Bob. **


 Having set them off, I waited at the station until 10:00 am in case any one else turned up. Then I drove down to the RSPB centre at Wiggonholt, parked my car and started to ride the route.

I wasn't sure whether the competitors were ahead of or behind me and, on reaching the highest point of the ride, I stopped for a breather and took some photos whilst I waited to see if they were just about to catch me up.

By now, the intermittent showers had amalgamated into a continuous light drizzle and having sent a text to Barbara to find out where she was I turned south and headed downhill, through Byworth and on to the lunch halt at Sutton.
As I sat in the comfort of The White Horse at Sutton I received a reply from Barbara - they were about half an hour away. I ordered my lunch (and another pint of ale).
Once everyone had arrived and handed their sheets in, I could reveal the answers:











 


No comments:

Post a Comment