Sunday 15 April 2012

DA Event - Freewheel

SCRE-E-E-E-E-C-HHH!!!!
What the? I nearly jumped out of my skin as a car locked its wheels and skidded just over my right shoulder. What was going on? I looked behind to see a small blue car tucking itself in behind me to avoid hitting a car coming the other way. The driver had obviously been doing the usual car driver thing of not properly checking there was space and visibility to perform an overtake - after all, it was just a bike! So when the other car came around the slight bend ahead and there was the potential for damaging their precious tin box, it was time to head for the kerb - luckily for me they weren't alongside or I'd have been side-swiped into oblivion. I nervously kept pedalling and was glad when they safely went past a few seconds later. All this happened on the Shipley to Southwater Road as I was on my solo way home from the first of this years DA Events.



A nine o'clock start from Horsham meant I had to leave home by 8:20. A cloudless, lovely blue sky had encouraged me to wear shorts and travel light today. But it was a bit cooler than I thought and by the time I got to K2 I was quite cold, however, I knew the climb to Pease Pottage would warm me up - it did for all parts except my fingertips - first day in fingerless mitts today as well.



I rolled into the Pavilions car park bang on nine to be met by Norman. We waited the obligatory 10 minutes but we were still just two, so off we went. No dawdling, we headed south via Tower Hill to Bax Castle. Here we took the left turn and continued through woods just starting to have their first flush of bluebells down to Dragons Green and on to Broomers Corner. Here a quick check on my phone's sat nav and we took the next left fork to the B-road and a sunny dash down to the West Chiltington turn. The sheltered climb up to the village warmed us up whilst the downhill the other side chilled us back down. Soon we were on the A283 and that long straight but with the sun out and the wind behind us it passed quick enough and by 10:30 we were sat outside the RSPB cafe at Wiggonholt.



By the time we'd finished our snacks, other riders had arrived and I was pleased to see Jon V, John C and Ros from our group.



Next we headed back along the A283 and on to Nutbourne. We carried on though this sleepy hamlet and climbed the ridge behind it, Norman and I leading the way ( we were still trying to get warm). Just over the top was where today's Freewheel would start.



We set off at 30 second intervals. The road was only about one and a half car widths across so it was possible to keep going if there was anything coming the other way ( except if it was a combine harvester - or a Chieftain Tank). In profile it started off quite steep before levelling out for about a hundred yards and then plunging down once more before sweeping under the railway, bending left and going up slightly to level out and eventually reach the A29. We'd given explicit instructions that if anyone reached the A29 they must stop there - if multiple riders reached it they'd have to settle it with a fight (I joked!).



I was one of the last to go and was conscious of how much speed and momentum I lost on the 'plateau' middle section ( I blame the wind and my own un-aerodynamic profile, not lack of ability). As I rounded the last corner I could see that everyone seemed to have finished quite close to each other and, despite the enthusiastic encouragement of the assembled throng, I came to a halt right in their midst.



Well done John V - he managed to get furthest (last year John C was best). No one had reached the A29 due, I think, to the headwind.



Now we headed back up the hill to lunch, though Norman and the two Johns forked left onto Gay Street and headed on home. The rest had a nice fast freewheel back down to Nutbourne and The Rising Sun. We parked our bikes at the top end of the garden and commandeered a couple of tables in what we hoped would be a sun trap of a location - it was, but only when the sun was out and not obscured (as it was increasingly) by clouds! Unfortunately the pub doesn't do sandwiches on Sundays ( but would if pre-arranged), so most of us ordered burgers. After about an hour of chat about this and that, it was time to head for home. Ros was heading for Pulborough Station, so I was the only one going north and hence was all alone when that dopey Peugeot driver gave me such a shock. I think what really worried me was that I hadn't heard it approaching - this just adds weight to my thought that it had not taken any special actions in order to overtake me. I would have noticed a change in gear or revs/speed but the first sign of their presence was the skid!


However, don't let that put you off - it was an exception. Next weeks ride starts from Horsham Pavilions in the Park again but at 09:30hrs. I haven't worked out the exact route yet but it will take in some of the very pretty lanes to the west of Horsham. It won't be any more than 40 miles long and will be fairly easy with a pub stop for lunch. See you on the 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment