Sunday 12 December 2010

Another cold Sunday

How dedicated a ride leader is it that gets up at 04.36 (am) on a Sunday to email the group to say that they are not well and can’t make the ride that day!? Especially, when you weren’t even supposed to be leading in the first place having stepped in when the original leader decided to pull out. That is just what our Chair, Bob, did this Sunday. Fortunately he is getting better now.

I duly agreed to lead and turned up at the start, a few minutes late, having had a lazy slow ride to Horsham. It was bright and sunny, although a very cold day, and so I had taken my time getting there. I waited quite a while but found myself still alone. Having bothered to turn out I decided to make the most of the nice day by returning through Roffey to Wimlands road where I climbed up past the Frog and Nightgown (what a great name for a pub, and a great pub) unfortunately closed when I got there. Having turned off the busy roads I discovered a fair bit of ice at different times, and walked part of Wimlands Lane in the company of two roadies – their slick tyres presumably being even less grippy than my touring tyres. Then along the ridge on the newly surfaced bridle path back to Ifield. This is a great route and I had some fine winter views as I rode carefully along.





Crossing the railway line to arrive in Gossops Green is not as scary as it might seem, certainly no worse than some of the busier roads in Crawley. My wireless computer had decided not to work – I think that the cold finishes off the batteries – so I detoured to Evans Cycles to get a new battery, and then home.
Twenty odd miles, not very much really, but enough on such a cold day. And quite pleasant – although it would have been nice to have some company. Hope to see you at the Xmas lunch next week (if you have booked with Anton).

Cheers,
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment