Monday 25 October 2010

Autumn Tints

I arrived at Horsham Pavilions in the Park to find John C, Jeet and Anton waiting for me. We hung around until 10:10 before setting off. When I volunteered to lead this ride (some months back) I thought “Late October? Autumn will be well underway and all the leaves will have changed colour”. Hence the ride title of Autumn Tints. However, the seasons seem a little late this year and most of the trees are still mainly green!



My plan was to do a thirty mile loop to the south and west of Horsham, so we set off along Park street and then Queen Street and the Brighton Road. After passing the Silver Wok we turned right onto Kerves Lane. This initially heads downhill before suddenly rearing up into the short sharp climb that is the wooded Hard’s Hill. Whilst still getting our breath back, we headed left onto Coltstaple Lane and then down onto Broadwater Lane. Last year some major engineering works occurred in the fields alongside this lane – I believe it was the installation of a main water pipeline. Unfortunately I’ve no idea where it was going to or from!

Emerging near the building site that was The Bridge Inn at Copsale, we turned left again and headed across to Maplehurst. From here we turned south and endured the two short and never pleasurable climbs on the way to the A272. Spurning the chance of a breather, the boys opted to carry on – we could have had a cuppa in the Bistro at the Camellia Botnar Garden Centre (open 10 til 4 on Sunday) - and a few minutes later we’d passed through Littleworth and Partridge Green to emerge on the A281 at Shermanbury. I had considered using the bridleway through the Shermanbury Estate, but looking at my fellow riders I decided to stick to the tarmac. So it was south along the A281 before heading east on the B2116. A place called Prairie Farm (or something like that) was advertising that it’s gardens were open to the public. Perhaps their gardens were full of “Autumn Tints”? Anyway, perhaps I was thinking too much about things like that because at the next junction I wandered off my planned route. We headed north up through Wineham, over the A272 and onto Spronketts Lane – I’d intended heading further east before turning north and using Bolney Chapel Road and Foxhole Lane. Both routes have some climbing to do – the one we took climbs gradually for a couple of miles before a downhill and then a small beast of a climb into Warninglid. My intended route also has ups and downs but, in keeping with the ride theme, goes through some woodland that I had hoped would be full of autumnal shades – we’ll never know!

From Warninglid we took the Cuckfield Road and crossed the A23 on the flyover before curling down to the left and taking Staplefield Road. In full sun and with a bright blue sky, this was very pleasant riding and we’d soon managed the slight gradient to emerge at Staplefield and the lunch halt, The Victory Inn. Although only two tables were occupied, there was apparently no room at the Inn, so we ordered our food and then went back outside with our beers to sit in the sunshine. The only trouble was that, now we’d stopped cycling, we could feel the wind – and it was quite keen! Still, we’re hardy fellows and we stuck it out. One of the ales on tap was called “Tea” so if stopped by a policeman I could honestly say I only drank a pint of tea with my dinner! The menu had hot meals and sandwiches available and when our sandwiches arrived they were very pleasant (served with a nice fresh salad and crisps). Anton’s bowl of chips was the best bit though – they warmed our fingers up a treat! As soon as we’d finished eating we set off again – we needed the exercise to warm us up. Shortest route home was the order of the day so I led us west across to Slaugham (loads of cars there as usual), past Slaugham pond



and on to the crossroads by the Wheatsheaf where the back garden looked a lot warmer than where we’d just been sat for an hour…..

Onto Hammerpond Road and a quick thrash down the hill and over the dam before standing on the pedals to crank up Buckshead Hill. Here we split into two – Anton and Jeet to carry on along Hammerpond Road all the way back to Horsham, John & myself to use Grouse Road up to Pease Pottage and thence Crawley.




I was back home by about 14:30 having led a very pleasant 30 mile ride (plus the 9 miles to get to the start) and by 15:30 I was having a snooze in my armchair.

Next weeks ride is a Morning Ride starting from Three Bridges Station at 10:00hrs. This ride will be suitable for ALL types of rider, members and non-members and will be led by Pete S.


Two things to note however:

1) it’s Halloween!!!!!
2) the clocks will have changed overnight – don’t get there too early!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment