Sunday 4 April 2010

Introductory Ride

"Good morning." said the young lady on my left, "Let me introduce myself, my name is Barbara." "Well hello," I said, "I'm Bob, pleased to meet you.

Well that was half of todays event sorted - the introductions. Now, what about the ride?

In spite of me being 10 minutes early and hanging around (with a welcoming smile on my face) for a further 20 minutes, that was it: just Barbara and myself had turned up. Plan B for the route then, no need to use the Worth Way, so we headed off through Three Bridges in a zig-zaggy route to Northgate and then used the westernmost underpass into the Industrial Estate. At the western end of Manor Royal we turned right at the lights - impressively, the lights detected us and changed quite quick. We passed through Langley Green using Martyrs Avenue and the new road layout by the shops before taking Rushetts Road and Stafford Road to emerge on Ifield Avenue near the new Hindu Temple. Ifield Avenue becomes Charlwood Road and we followed it all the way to Charlwood. At this point I realised that I'd forgotten to bring my water bottle - I'd sterilised it and filled it up at home but left it on the breakfast bar! In fact I'd been particularly dopey this morning because I'd forgotten to bring my mobile phone with me as well!
Turning left and then following the road left we headed for Russ Hill. Just before the hill starts, there is a white painted post-windmill on the right - its strange location in the lee of a hill is an indicator that it's not actually from here. It was originally standing in a very open area near Gatwick Airport at Lowfield Heath. Whilst it was there, one could see it getting more and more dilapidated and decrepit. Now it looks nice and shiny but I wonder whether it ever now gets enough wind to turn its sails?

Climbing up Russ Hill there was a fair covering of running water - I'll bet the hill has been the scene of a few accidents this winter. Cresting just before the hotel, the road sweeps in a series of bends down to Partridge Lane. Here we turned left and at the next crest turned left onto Orltons Lane. It seems like this lane has been continuously damp since last summer - I suppose the shade afforded by the trees promotes the damp feel to it. Ignoring the barking from the kennels on our right we took the next left onto The Mount before turning right for a quick blast down Hillybarn Lane. Only a few weeks ago, I was riding a toboggan down this same lane!

At the bottom we turned right and then a few hundred metres later, left, onto the Rusper Road. All the land to the left is under threat of development for more housing - it depresses me that our entire way of life is based on inflation (in this case of population) and that we're building over all the things that make this place a pleasant place to live. Arriving in Ifield, we used Tangmere Road and then the underpass into West Green. From here we went over the Horsham Road level crossing and then used Springfield Road, East Park, Malthouse Road and Brewer Road to get to the traffic lights on Southgate Avenue. Opting for the most direct, if busiest, route we got back to Three Bridges station using Hawth Avenue and then Haslett Avenue to finish the ride at 11:40 having covered a mere 17 miles.

Next weeks ride is the first DA Event of the year - the Freewheel. JC is leading the ride which starts at Horsham Park Pavilion at 09:30hrs.
The intention is to rendezvous with the other member groups at Wiggonholt RSPB centre by 11:00 hrs, then ride to Woods Hill for the Freewheel at 11:30hrs before taking lunch at the Queens Head in West Chiltington. The mileage should be somewhere in the region of 35 miles and (apart from a couple of hills) should be relatively easy. Put your most free-wheeling wheels on and let's have a good turnout - see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment